Derby’s Victorian market is going to celebrate its 150th birthday on the 29th of May and the best present it could receive is funding for much needed repairs. When the grade II market opened in 1866 it was the first purpose built covered market in the country. Built in Derby by the Phoenix Foundry who premises were next to the River Derwent the structure has seen many comings and goings and previous restorations including the latest in 1986 which reproduced its Victorian splendour along with modern facilities.
Now the building is in need of repair again and Derby City Council is currently putting together a Heritage Lottery Fund bid to fix the roof, gallery and cast iron columns. The building is currently underused and perhaps a little undervalued by the people of Derby and hopefully if the bid is successful it could also help with its rejuvenation.