Plan for Derby's Historic Bridge
When the Great Northern Railway brought a railway line to Derby they faced opposition to their idea of taking the route through one of Derby’s most affluent areas which included many fine Georgian Buildings and this eventually forced the company to provide a highly decorative bridge.
The Derby iron founder, Andrew Handyside and Company were given the commission by GNR to supply two decorative bridges to span Friar Gate and these came into use in 1878. After the closure of the line in 1968 the bridge became redundant and was purchased by the Derby City Council and now after many years of neglect is in a poor state of repair.
A recent article in the Derby Evening Telegraph prompted on one of their readers Alastair Powers to send in his ideas which would see the historic bridge and station becoming a dining area and speakeasy.
Prior to any work being undertaken funds are going to have to raised and the Friends of Friar Gate Bridge are hoping to apply for HLF funding in the near future.
Read the article here